Wide area IOT networks on existing power lines
Standards based – designed from the ground up for long range, narrow band communications on power lines designed on top of international G3-PLC standards
- Gateway can be placed on on any or all of of the three phases of the low voltage side (80 to 305VAC between phase and neutral) of the building or city power grid.
- Additional gateways can be placed downstream of interior distribution transformers. This is typical in large buildings where a single medium voltage feeder is used to feed MV-LV transformers placed in various locations in the large site.
- Each gateway can support up to 255 nodes per network (or sub-net if multiple gateways are used in a building with multiple MV-LV transformers.
- Each node can be hundreds of feet away from the next node and still maintain network connectivity.
Important Installation notes:
- Neutral connection required
- Suitable for use on 80 to 305 VAC phase to neutral voltages: this includes 480 3Y, 208 3Y, 240 1P, 120 1P – all rows with a green check mark in the picture to the left are compatible with the PLAN systems.
- Do not use on 480 Delta or corner grounded delta: These type of systems do not have a neutral
|US Large building / small industry
|3 Phase, 4 wire 480 Y (277 phase to neutral)
|Compatible with connection between phase and neutral
|Main 1 phase 240 / Split phase 120V phase to neutral
|Compatible on main or on split phases. Connect both 240 phases to gateway along with neutral
|Refer to compatibility matrix on left
- OFDM based physical layer [ BPSK, QPSK, 8PSK]
- CENELEC B Band – compliant with world regulatory bodies
- IEEE, ITU, IEC/CENELEC standards based
- Two layers of forward error correction for robust data communications in harsh power line channels
- Adaptive tone mapping for optimal bandwidth utilization
- Channel estimation to select the optimal modulation scheme between neighboring nodes.
- “Robust” mode to improve communication under noisy channel conditions.
- IEEE 802.15.4-based MAC layer well suited to low data rates.
- 6LoWPAN adaptation layer to transmit IPv6 packets over powerline channels.
- Multi layer encryption : Patented Cipher-Stream encryption on top of 256-bit Elliptic Curve Cryptography
- Coexistence with older S-FSK (IEC 61334), and broadband IEEE P1901 and ITU G.hn standards.
- Supports IPv6 to allow Internet-based energy management systems and applications.
- Mesh routing protocol to determine the best path between remote network nodes